The Phoenix Bookstore came about when owners Margarita Govea and Jose R Cantu set out to save a 1800’s French Victorian downtown historical home, located in their home town of Laredo Texas, from demolition. The home had been abandoned for over a decade and due to lack of upkeep, the home had fallen into severe deterioration; to the point it no longer possessed a roof. Fearing demolition, owners Margie and Robert purchased the home, restored it, and assigned a new purpose to it. They opened a bookstore out of their love for books and to allow the community a reason to visit the historical building.
The bookstore was named The Phoenix in honor of the building restoration which brought it back from nearly ashes and in honor of the many bookstores making a comeback across the nation.
The Phoenix Bookstore opened its doors to the Laredo community on December 28, 2019 and were embraced by the community for their integrated coffee shop, free WiFi, art classes, books of all genres, and highlighted Latin X selection.