The Cobbler: How I Disrupted an Industry, Fell from Grace, and Came Back Stronger Than Ever
Earn by promoting books
Earn money by sharing your favorite books through our Affiliate program.Become an affiliate
About the Author
In 1990, with a mere $1,100 in the bank, Madden followed his intuition and set out to create the next big thing: a company able to anticipate consumer needs and subsequently deliver collections that were both cutting edge and highly saleable. Channeling his creative energy to produce a variety of silhouettes and vibrant styles in his Queens-based factory, quickly his dream became reality and the Steve Madden brand was born.
30 years later, with over 200 stores across the globe, the acquisition of notable brands such as Dolce Vita, Betsey Johnson, and Blondo, to name a few, standout collaborations with stars including Sydney Sweeney, Nessa Barret, Cardi B, Winnie Harlow, Ja Rule, Keyshia Cole, and Kendall and Kylie Jenner, the designer and entrepreneur continues the hustle.
While Madden can recognize success, he is mindful of his humble beginning and support he has received on his journey to achievement. As a recovering addict as well as someone who has learned to manage his ADD, Madden is an active philanthropist and mentor who supports several organizations that help those in need of a second chance.
A native New Yorker, Steve currently resides in Manhattan with his children, and is more present than ever at his company's Long Island City headquarters, the various showrooms throughout Manhattan and his namesake stores worldwide.
- Donny Deutsch, TV personality and Chairman Emeritus, Deutsch Inc "Steve Madden is the epitome of an addict underdog, his rise back to the top gave me hope as an addict myself to lead a clean successful life. The Cobbler will give you the real truth about what it takes to go from the depths of a bottom, to the cream that rises to the top."
- Stacey Griffith, Founding Master Instructor at SoulCycle and Author of Two Turns from Zero "I couldn't put this book down as I read about the ups and downs of Steve Madden's life and career. It taught me so much about the hard work and hustle it took to build his brand and overcome major obstacles. I'd recommend The Cobbler to anyone who's interested in starting a business, needs a little inspiration, or just loves a good story."
- Molly Sims, Celebrity, Former Supermodel, and Lifestyle Influencer In The Cobbler, Steve writes about his struggle with addiction in a way that is raw and real and incredibly inspiring. I know his story will give hope to a lot of people who are suffering, while educating others about what life is really like for an addict and what it takes to recover and succeed."
- Seamus Mullen, Chef and Author I've advised dozens of business owners but have never encountered a leader who combines creativity, entrepreneurial savvy, and practical business sense quite like Steve Madden. From dropping out of college while battling ADHD and addiction to building a multi-billion-dollar business, he gives us an inside look into some of the most important decisions he made along the way. Steve is a master at seeing the white space, whether it's hidden potential in an employee who eventually becomes a CEO or a shoe trend that creates a whole new market. The Cobbler inspires us all to think out of the box, be resilient, and embrace our enormous capacity for change."
- Fran Hauser, Startup investor and advisor and bestselling author of The Myth of the Nice Girl "Steve has consistently and deliberately confronted and overcome various personal and business obstacles. He has achieved unprecedented levels of success and has built one of the most impressive shoe companies in the business. It is an inspirational story of an unlikely entrepreneur, who despite his continuing to defy all the rules, continues to prevail.
- Kenneth Cole, Chairman and chief creative officer, Kenneth Cole productions "In addition to being a visionary, Steve is a funny and fantastic storyteller. I have little doubt his book will be very entertaining -- but if it's not you can always rip out the pages and stuff them into any shoes that are too big."
- Jeff Ross, Comedian The book is a valuable, often riveting play-by-play of one man's rise to riches.
- Bloomberg A deep dive into Madden's rise and fall and rise again.
- Newsday Madden's book shows a more timorous side of his personality.
- New York Post There's simply no one like Steve Madden--and now the shoe mogul is opening up about his singular path in a candid and emotional new memoir.
- Footwear News