Pharmacy Girl: The Great War, Spanish Influenza, and the Truth about Billy Detwiler
Kate Szegda (Author)
Buy new or used from an indie through our partner Biblio:
DescriptionIt's so unfair. Eighth grade was going to be so much fun ... until ...
1918. Twelve-year-old honor student Josie Winslow loves her family and friends, school, and working with her father in his drug store-until she encounters the new class bully, a boy who runs with juvenile delinquents, has been kicked out of prep school, and is looking for his next victim.For the first time in her life, school is a nightmare, but when her father is exposed to Spanish influenza, Josie becomes afraid he might die-because Spanish influenza kills-and it kills fast. Yet it is her mother who is the first to come down with the deadly disease. Doctors are baffled, and there are no effective vaccines. No ventilators. No anti-virals to stop a pandemic. Can Josie help the people she loves--and the bully she hates--survive? Published before COVID and inspired by stories of the author's pharmacist grandfather, Pharmacy Girl is Kate Szegda's award-winning debut novel for middle-grade readers and people who love history. If you like page-turning stories rich in historical detail, and characters with heart, you'll love Pharmacy Girl. Buy Pharmacy Girl today!
- California Teachers' Association, California Reads selection 2021-2022
- Readers' Favorite International Book Award, Finalist, Children's Pre-teen Fiction 2021
- National Federation of Press Women, 2nd Place Award for Children's Fiction 2020
- Delaware Press Association Award, Children's Fiction 2020
- American Book Fest, Best Book Awards, Finalist, Children's Fiction 2020
- Moonbeam Children's Fiction Award, Silver Medal for Pre-teen Historical/Cultural Fiction 2019
February 05, 2019
6.0 X 9.0 X 0.65 inches | 0.92 pounds
Earn by promoting books
Earn money by sharing your favorite books through our Affiliate program.Become an affiliate