Lead from the Heart: Transformational Leadership for the 21st Century
Mark C Crowley (Author)
Buy new or used from an indie through our partner Biblio:
DescriptionLeadership and engagement expert Mark C. Crowley shows how trading in the old business playbook for heart-led leadership strategies will create purpose-driven, dedicated employees and higher levels of performance. Revised and updated to address the needs of those managing Gen Z and millennial employees in addition to the latest global research on employee engagement. In this thoroughly revised and updated edition of his now classic book, visionary Mark C. Crowley provides the roadmap workplace leaders the world over are seeking: How to most successfully and sustainably inspire and manage other human beings in the post-pandemic era.
- Nearly 50 million workers quit their jobs in the U.S. alone in 2021--a record number likely to be exceeded in 2022.
- While we might imagine that an opportunity to earn greater pay is the key driver of this "Great Resignation," research shows two-thirds of the reasons people leave jobs boil down to issues related to their engagement and overall well-being.
- More specifically, people quit when they feel they aren't valued, respected, appreciated, coached--or cared about personally--by their manager and organization.
- Thanks in large part to the COVID pandemic and a global reset of what matters most to people in their lives, human beings have profoundly evolved in what they need and want in exchange for their work.
- Consequently, a radical change in employee expectations demands that organizations and managers rapidly pivot by embracing leadership practices that match the moment.
- The remedy to the Great Resignation is to adopt more humane ways of managing people knowing they inherently lead to infinitely greater engagement not to mention optimal employee performance.
- In this new and updated version of his seminal and visionary book, Mark C. Crowley draws upon emerging medical and other scientific discoveries which prove it's the heart, not the mind, that drives human motivation and achievement.
- While we've long been led to believe that human beings are essentially rational beings, new research shows that feelings and emotions far more often motivate human behavior and what people care about most and commit themselves to in their lives.
- In light of this breakthrough understanding, it's become incumbent upon workplace managers to pay great attention to their employees' emotional experience at work--far greater attention than any of us ever believed necessary.
- Ironically, most of us were told the heart has no place in workplace management. In fact, most of us were taught that the heart acts like Kryptonite in leadership: it inherently undermines a manager's effectiveness - and lowers performance.
- What makes this book so remarkable is that it brilliantly contradicts all those traditional beliefs and proves why people naturally and instinctively respond to managers who care about them personally and support their deep human needs.
- To be absolutely clear, there's nothing soft or weak about the Lead From The Heart philosophy. Instead, it represents the future of workplace management and a roadmap to driving uncommon engagement, productivity and profitability when organizations around the world are wanting it most.
- Rich with inspiring stories and illuminating research, this book proves that when you lead people with a greater balance of mind and heart, people naturally follow. And they also excel.
Hay House Business
August 23, 2022
5.4 X 8.1 X 1.2 inches | 1.2 pounds
Earn by promoting books
Earn money by sharing your favorite books through our Affiliate program.Become an affiliate
About the Author
Mark C. Crowley is a recognized visionary in workplace management, engagement, and culture. When the first edition of his book was published over a decade ago, many business leaders were slow to embrace it and misinterpreted its title as a call for soft, weak and therefore, ineffective management. Today, his pioneering philosophy has launched a global movement. Forbes Magazine has since called his ideas visionary and the blueprint for the future of workplace leadership: onforb.es/1LtWQiQ As a global speaker and consultant, he's a regular contributor to Fast Company Magazine and Great Britain's CEO Magazine. His work has been published by USA Today, the Huffington Post, Seattle Times, ThriveGlobal, Reuters, The Great Place To Work Institute, and Gallup. His LinkedIn Pulse articles, "Why Millennials Don't Want Fun; They Want You To Lead Better," and "Employee Engagement Isn't Getting Better and Gallup Shares The Surprising Reasons Why" have been read over 1 million times. Mark is also the host of the "Lead From The Heart" Podcast. With an audience in 156 countries, his line-up of luminary guests has included Daniel Pink, Marcus Buckingham, Amy C. Edmondson, Frances Frei, Gary Hamel, Erik Larson, Dan Cable, Laura Huang, Katy Milkman, Zoe Chance, Safi Bahcall, Ethan Kross, Marshall Goldsmith, Alex Edmans, Hubert Joly, Herminia Ibarra, Tom Peters, Marc Brackett, and David Rosenstein. Mark is a member of Marshall Goldsmith's "100 Coaches" community and a graduate of both the University of California, San Diego and the Pacific Coast Banking School at the University of Washington. A business leader at heart, he's the former National Sales Manager for Investment Products at one of the nation's largest financial institutions where he was named "Leader of the Year." For three consecutive years, Mark has been named a "Trust Across America Thought Leader" by TRUST! Magazine. He was raised in Garden City, New York and now lives in La Jolla, California. Lead From The Heart has been taught at nine American Universities: Northern Arizona University, Embry-Riddle University, University of Texas, San Antonio, Mount Saint Mary's College (NY), San Diego State University, the University of Southern Maine, the graduate strategic Leadership seminar at the University of Iowa, Purdue University Global, and the Organizational Psychology PhD program at the University of Massachusetts Global (formally Brandman University). It was also named one of the "10 Best Strategy Books To Beat The Competition" by the book editors at Small Business Trends. In May 2020, fourteen Ph.D. students at UMass Global's Educational Leadership Ph.D. program individually began doing research on one of the four Lead From The Heart practices and it's impacts on one aspect of elementary and secondary education. As of the summer of 2022, three of these students completed their thesis, earned their Doctorate degrees--and further confirmed the efficacy of the Lead From The Heart philosophy.