Buy new or used from an indie through our partner Biblio:
"For a hundred and forty years Carmilla has given readers' bodies and souls a shake, because the vampire is beautiful but repulsive, to be resisted at all costs, because the narrative alternates so imaginatively between twittering girlies and an urgent need to reach for sharpened wooden stakes. Is there any reason it won't continue to do so far into the future? Give it a read, and feel how it crawls under your skin."From the Foreword by Daniel RichlerThe goal of The House of Pomegranates Press is to produce arcane and magical little packages full of words that inform, disturb and most importantly, inspire. With Carmilla we begin our Vintage Vampire series. Over the next few years we intend to publish - beautifully - as many vintage vampire novels as we can. Why? Because since childhood we've been haunted by these stories. As we grew, our complicated messy brains morphed these stories and characters from esoteric shadows under our beds into real, tangible, existentialist demons. They walked amongst us, they became our friends, our lovers, our fears. We felt it was time to gather those demons, wrap them in lovely covers and place them into a modern context with intelligent introductions by fascinating people. And so here you have Carmilla beautifully illustrated by Taeden Hall with a foreword by the quite wonderful, erudite Mr. Daniel Richler. Who better than he to blend vampires, Victoriana, politics, feminism and girl school lesbianism? Enjoy.
House of Pomegranates Press
November 04, 2012
5.0 X 7.99 X 0.36 inches | 0.38 pounds
Earn by promoting books
About the Author
Joseph Thomas Sheridan Le Fanu (1814 - 1873) was an Irish writer of Gothic tales and mystery novels. He was a leading ghost story writer of the nineteenth century and was central to the development of the genre in the Victorian era. M. R. James described Le Fanu as "absolutely in the first rank as a writer of ghost stories". Three of his best-known works are Uncle Silas, Carmilla and The House by the Churchyard.