Cameos Old & New (4th Edition) (Edition, New)
Newly Updated and Expanded
Critical and up-to-the-minute information for the novice, advanced collector, jewelry dealer, curator and appraiser--for all who buy and sell cameos, or who are just fascinated by them.
Antiques Roadshow Book Club Selection
Since ancient times, cameo making has allowed artists of every era to capture and reflect on the history, literature and lore of their culture. Today, the allure of finely carved cameos is drawing a new generation of both savvy collectors and gifted artists who are captivated by their transcendental elegance.
This first and only comprehensive reference guide offers valuable information on:
- Where to successfully hunt for cameos
- How to separate old from new, imitation and newer synthetic materials from original shell and stone cameos
- How to differentiate between ultrasonically produced and hand-carved cameos
Richly illustrated with many new cameo photographs, this new edition will facilitate the recognition and evaluation of quality in cameos and increase your confidence in buying and selling cameos with:
- Key factors for defining value
- Information on how to buy cameos from retailers and antique dealers, via the Internet or at auction
- A clear explanation of The MasterValuer Program(TM) of Quality Ranking that serves as a vital guide for use when evaluating cameos
- An extensive review of outstanding contemporary cameo artists throughout the world, their style, subject matter, unique and identifiable techniques, contact information ... and more
Earn by promoting books
Earn money by sharing your favorite books through our Affiliate program.Become an affiliate
About the Author
Anna M. Miller, G.G., RMV, was a jewelry historian, author, lecturer, and instructor. The developer of The MasterValuer Program(TM), a jewelry appraisal course that has been taught worldwide, she consulted with individuals and companies on buying, selling, appraising and interpreting the jewelry arts. Miller was the author of five books on gems and jewelry, including Gems & Jewelry Appraising: Techniques of Professional Practice, the first comprehensive work about gem and jewelry appraising; and Illustrated Guide to Jewelry Appraising: Antique, Period & Modern (both GemStone Press).
This fourth edition is a comprehensive reference guide for buyers, collectors, appraisers, and dealers on the quality and value of cameos. Diana Jarrett brings extensive new information to the text, originally written by the late jewelry expert Anna Miller, including new manufacturing methods, new resources, and a guide to determine the value of older cameos. For more information, visit www.gemstonepress.com.-- "Jewelry Artist"