Immerse yourself in the stories behind the most shocking and infamous books ever published!
Censorship of one form or another has existed almost as long as the written word, while definitions of what is deemed "acceptable" in published works have shifted over the centuries, and from culture to culture. Banned Books
explores why some of the world's most important literary classics and seminal non-fiction titles were once deemed too controversial for the public to read - whether for challenging racial or sexual norms, satirizing public figures, or simply being deemed unfit for young readers. From the banning of All Quiet on the Western Front
and the repeated suppression of On the Origin of the Species
, to 1984
, Fahrenheit 45
, Catcher in the Rye
and Huckleberry Fin
, this must-have volume examines the astonishing role that some banned books have played in changing history.
Packed with eye-opening insights into the history of the written word, and the political and social climate during the period of suppression or censorship, this is a must-read for anyone interested in literature; creative writing; politics; history or the law.
Delve into this compelling collection of the world's most controversial books to discover:
- Covers a broad range of genres and subject areas in fiction and non-fiction, ranging from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
- Offers informative insights into society, politics, law, and religious beliefs, in different countries around the world
- Features images of first editions and specially commissioned illustrations of the books' authors
- Includes extracts from the banned books along with key quotations about them
- Completely global in scope
A must-have volume for avid readers and literary scholars alike, alongside those with an interest in the law, politics and censorship, Banned Books
profiles a selection of the most infamous, intriguing and controversial books ever written, whilst offering a unique perspective on the history of the written word, with insights into the often surprising reasons books have been banned throughout history and across the world.
Whether as a gift or self-purchase, this brilliant book is a must-have addition to the library of curious thinkers, borrowers and lifelong learners. If you enjoy Banned Books
, then why not try Great Loves
- the first title in DK's quirky new hardback series, full of insightful and intriguing topics.