Part of Niki Daly's
Another winning addition--Lolo is indeed a star!--Kirkus, starred review
Lolo's back for a whole new set of adventures in You're a Star, Lolo, the third book in Niki Daly's Lolo series for beginning readers. Whether it's turning her garden into a snail farm when snails eat up her precious tomato plant, or using her hair ribbons to save the day when a friend's car breaks down - there's a unique solution to every problem, and Lolo is going to find it!
These stories invite young readers into the life and adventures of fun-loving, clever, and curious Lolo, a young girl living in South Africa. Along with her mother and grandmother, Gogo, she can always find a way to make the best out of any situation-- even when things don't go as planned.
In You're a Star, Lolo, join Lolo as she makes her mom an extra-special soup, goes on vacation with her Gogo, and even tracks down the scary Ghorra-Ghorra-Hoooaaah-Bwoooooo-Monster sound she keeps hearing at night!
PRAISE FOR NIKI DALY'S LOLO SERIES
- "Bright and cheerful Lolo is the star of the show in this new chapter-book series from South Africa. [...] Young readers will find much to enjoy in this tale of a winning little girl and her family--hooray indeed!"- Kirkus Reviews
- "With a simply written, graceful text and gray-scale pictures on nearly every page, these appealing stories are just right for children moving from beginning readers to chapter books." - Booklist
- "Daly's lessons are relatable and resonant, sowing seeds of compassion and connection between the reader and Lolo. [...] The expressive black-and-white digital illustrations, which resemble classic line art à la Amelia Bedelia, lovingly depict Lolo and her community. An endearing protagonist and clear thematic messages make this first in a series a winsome pick for early readers." - Publishers Weekly
- "The outstanding feature of this series of books is that very few books for children of this age (say 5 to 8 years) combine a highly readable tone and a feisty young character of colour." - International Board on Books for Young People, UK
- "Sparkly stories all, with lots of gentle humour that will win Lolo lots of friends among young readers who are sure to enjoy making the acquaintance of this enormously engaging girl."- Red Reading Hub
- "Lolo is a fun-loving, likeable character, whose experiences and dilemmas are typical of children her age. She considers the impact her actions have on others, making this a great book to promote discussion about emotions, empathy, kindness and friendship. Ideal for newly independent readers to increase their confidence, each page is illustrated with characterful black-and-white illustrations that bring the stories to life." - Book Trust (UK)
About the Author
Niki Daly has won many awards for his work. His groundbreaking Not So Fast Songololo, winner of a US Parent's Choice Award, paved the way for post-apartheid South African children's books. Among his many books, Once Upon a Time was an Honor Winner in the US Children's Africana Book Awards and Jamela's Dress was chosen by the ALA as a Notable Children's Book and by Booklist as one of the Top 10 African American Picture Books of 2000. It also won both the Children's Literature Choice Award and the Parents' Choice Silver Award. Niki lives with his wife, the author and illustrator Jude Daly, in South Africa.