Writing Action (Lit Starts): A Book of Writing Prompts
DescriptionA fill-in book from the San Francisco Writers' Grotto, authors of the best-selling 642 Things series.
Focus on a single aspect of the craft of writing with help from the San Francisco Writers' Grotto. Writing Action kicks off with a foreword by an award-winning author and journalist Bonnie Tsui, who offers pointers for creating page-turning prose. The rest of the book consists of prompts and space to write, providing opportunities to explore how both high-stakes and low-key moments can be action-packed. Among other ideas, you'll be asked to write an account of:
- a highly competitive game of hopscotch
- an orange being peeled as if it were the last one on earth
- a car ride with an overly confident student driver
- a meal prepared by a cook who is really depressed
- the step-by-step process of opening a long-awaited piece of mail
- Paperback with textured cover stock, flaps, and a lay-flat binding
- Advice from a published writer, followed by fill-in prompts and space to write
- Part of a collection of single-subject writing prompt books by the San Francisco Writers' Grotto
Harry N. Abrams
September 10, 2019
5.3 X 0.5 X 8.0 inches | 0.5 pounds
Earn by promoting books
Earn money by sharing your favorite books through our Affiliate program.Become an affiliate
About the Author
The San Francisco Writers' Grotto is a community of writers that was founded in 1994. It now has more than 100 members who share workspace and teach classes in downtown San Francisco. Bonnie Tsui is a longtime contributor to the New York Times and the author of the award-winning American Chinatown.
"Good writing begins with WRITING--anything! JUST WRITE, GODAMMIT! Inside these books are 388 wildly creative, ridiculously fun ideas and prompts to get you going. Seriously, if these workbooks don't get you going, then you need to forget about writing and go open a dry-cleaning franchise."--Mary Roach "bestselling author of Stiff, Spook, Bonk, and Grunt, among others "