Muzzling a Movement: The Effects of Anti-Terrorism Law, Money, and Politics on Animal Activism
Earn by promoting books
Earn money by sharing your favorite books through our Affiliate program.Become an affiliate
About the Author
Dara Lovitz, Esq., graduated magna cum laude from the University of Pennsylvania and attended Temple University School of Law, where she won the Barrister Award. Lovitz is a continuing legal education project coordinator for the American Law Institute and an adjunct professor of Animal Law at Temple Law. She is a founding board member of the nonprofit organization Peace Advocacy Network.
Lovitz is the author of two previous books: Muzzling a Movement: The Effects of Anti-Terrorism Laws, Money, and Politics on Animal Activism (Lantern Books 2010), and Catching Falling Cradles: A Gentle Approach to Classic Rhymes (self-published 2014). The former title received the Top 10 Reads of 2010 award from the Institute of Critical Animal Studies and the 2010 Donut Award from the Vegan Police national podcast.
Lovitz's blog "Some Twinsight" is popular among parents of twins and she is gaining a growing following under her Twitter handle @TwinMomDara.
Lovitz becomes a passionate advocate for that which inspires her daily life. Before she became a mother, she dedicated all of her non-billable time to animal rights activism. After numerous conference presentations and television appearances, she developed a reputation for ardently providing a voice for the voiceless. When she became a parent, she transferred her need to protect those who cannot protect themselves to children. While she continues to apportion some of her time to animal activism, she has found a new motivator in life: being the best parent she can be. And, as with animal activism, she will seek to embolden others to join her in this endeavor.
The following is a list of Lovitz's book and book chapter publications:
- "The Laws and Lawyers of Social Change," Educating for Action: Strategies to Ignite Social Justice (New Society Publishers 2014)
- "Who is the Real 'Terrorist?" Terrorization of Dissent (Lantern Books 2014)
- Catching Falling Cradles: A Gentle Approach to Classic Rhymes (self-published 2014)
- Muzzling a Movement: the Effects of Anti-Terrorism Laws, Money, and Politics on Animal Activism (Lantern Books 2010)
Lovitz has had more than twenty articles and other writings published in various media, including:
- "Clash at the Farmer's Fence-Farm Protection and the Right to Know."The Pennsylvania Lawyer, July/August 2013.
- "Beware the Terrorist in Your Neighborhood- The One with the Rescued Cats." The Pennsylvania Lawyer, May/June 2012.
- "Food Labeling," Today's Dietician, April 2012.
- Preface. Love and Liberation: An Animal Liberation Front Story. (Piraeus Books 2012).
- "The Case Against Carriage Tours: Horses, People at Risk Under City's Current System,"The Philadelphia Lawyer, Summer 2010.
- Call to Action: Getting Political and Winning Laws . . . for Some Animals, 3 J. Animal & Ethics 195 (2009).