Mountaineering: Essential Skills for Hikers and Climbers
DescriptionThe most comprehensive, detailed, and richly illustrated guide to mountaineering ever Perfect for the complete beginner or the seasoned mountaineer, Mountaineering is a comprehensive guide for anyone who aspires to climb the world's hills and mountains. Its pages are packed full of information, including: - Hiking and trekking basics: from packing your backpack to map- and compass-reading tips
- Rock climbing: from choosing the correct gear--including harnesses, ropes, and the necessary tools--to how to safely climb
- Winter mountaineering: from predicting the weather to packing the correct clothing to the precautions necessary to stay safe
- Alpinism: from hut and climbing etiquette to climbing alpine routes quickly
- Ski mountaineering and snowshoeing: from choosing the right type of equipment to finding the best snow for your gear
- Expeditions: from raising funds to planning your trip--including the necessary gear and food--to getting the necessary vaccines and visas So why do mountain climbers rope themselves together? To prevent the sensible ones from going home Learn this and so much more throughout Mountaineering, and soon you can join Alun Richardson and George Manley all the way to the top. With over two hundred color illustrations and three hundred color photographs, and featuring some of the world's most inspirational mountain ranges, this is the book to turn to if you're planning a trip to, on, or up a mountain. Skyhorse Publishing, as well as our Sports Publishing imprint, is proud to publish a broad range of books for readers interested in sports--books about baseball, pro football, college football, pro and college basketball, hockey, or soccer, we have a book about your sport or your team. In addition to books on popular team sports, we also publish books for a wide variety of athletes and sports enthusiasts, including books on running, cycling, horseback riding, swimming, tennis, martial arts, golf, camping, hiking, aviation, boating, and so much more. While not every title we publish becomes a New York Times bestseller or a national bestseller, we are committed to publishing books on subjects that are sometimes overlooked by other publishers and to authors whose work might not otherwise find a home.
February 10, 2015
7.4 X 0.8 X 9.6 inches | 1.85 pounds
Earn by promoting books
Earn money by sharing your favorite books through our Affiliate program.Become an affiliate
About the Author
Alun Richardson is a photographer and International Federation of Mountain Guides Association (IFMGA) mountain guide--the highest qualification for worldwide mountaineering and exploration. He runs a climbing and mountaineering school in Pembrokeshire, Wales. George Manley is a qualified mountaineering instructor and a professional illustrator. He has taught climbing and mountaineering for many years. He lives in Chester, England.