Join a respected Jungian analyst for a deep dive into the emotional and symbolic journey of motherhood.
Motherhood is the true hero's journey--which is to say that it can be as harrowing as it is joyful, and enlightening as it is exhausting. For Jungian psychoanalyst Lisa Marchiano, this journey is not just an adventure of diaper bags and parent-teacher conferences, but one of intense self-discovery.
Marchiano draws from a deep well of Jungian analysis and symbolic research to present a collection of fairy tales, myths, and fables that evoke the spiritual arc of raising a child from infancy through adulthood. After all, this kind of storytelling has always been one of the most important conduits of humanity's collective wisdom--and Marchiano provides each tale alongside keen insights into the timeless archetypes they represent.
Balanced with real-life case stories from Lisa's own practice and in-depth questions for personal reflection, Motherhood
explores how events like pregnancy, the calamities of childhood, and the empty-nest experience are invitations to an adventure into the wild frontier of your own soul. Here you will discover:
- How the challenges of motherhood send you on journeys into your innermost source
- Seeing the value of conflict with your child even while working to solve it
- "The dark passage" of confronting and dispelling the energy of childhood wounds
- "The thirteenth fairy"--how to recognize when we are resisting inconvenient or uncomfortable truths
- Understanding how anger, rage, and aggression arise in parental relationships
- Recognizing the ways that you have been taught to ignore your deepest instincts
- How to navigate the inevitable periods of grief that accompany your child's many life changes
- Why much of successful mothering requires surrendering your sense of control
With Lisa's gentle but straightforward guidance, you'll return from this inner journey in possession of the treasured knowledge needed to clarify your values, embrace your disowned parts, and claim the mantle of motherhood in the full bloom of your empowerment.