This is, perhaps, the most multifaceted collection of essays Zondervan has ever published. A fitting Festschrift to Stan Gundry, a man known by many people for many things, but never for being one-dimensional. As a pastor, scholar, publisher, mentor, and trusted friend, Stan has played diverse roles and worn numerous hats in his professional tenure.
Contributors from a variety of disciplines put a Gundry spin on a topic of their expertise and choosing--whether it's an evangelical-historical look at recent developments in their particular discipline or reflections on a topic at the center of Stan's interests. The result is this Festschrift--as multilayered, engaging, and authentic as the man it honors.
Contributors and essays include the following:
- Craig L. Blomberg - "Does the Quest for the Historical Jesus Still Hold Any Promise?"
- Millard J. Erickson - "Eighty Years of American Evangelical Theology"
- Gordon D. Fee - "On Women Remaining Silent in the Churches: A Text-Critical Approach to 1 Corinthians 14:34-35"
- Robert A. Fryling - "A Key to a Publishing Friendship"
- Robert H. Gundry - "A Brotherly Tribute"
- Carolyn Custis James and Frank A. James III - "The Blessed Alliance: Already But Not Yet"
- Karen H. Jobes - "'It Is Written': The Septuagint and Evangelical Doctrine of Scripture"
- Tremper Longman III - "'What Was Said in All the Scriptures concerning Himself' (Luke 24:27): Reading the Old Testament as a Christian"
- Richard J. Mouw - "Faithfulness in a 'Counterpoint' World: The Role of Theological Education"
- Ruth A. Tucker - "Eve, Jezebel, and the Woman at the Well: Biblical Women Hijacked in the Fight against Equality"
- John H. Walton - "The Tower of Babel and the Covenant: Rhetorical Strategy in Genesis Based on Theological and Comparative Analysis"
- John D. Woodbridge - "The Fundamentalist-Modernist Controversy"
- Christopher J. H. Wright - "The Missional Nature and the Role of Theological Education"
About the Author
Zondervan is an international Christian media and publishing company located in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Zondervan is a founding member of the Evangelical Christian Publishers Association (ECPA). They are a part of HarperCollins Christian Publishing, Inc. and has multiple imprints including Zondervan Academic, Zonderkidz, Blink, and Editorial Vida. Zondervan is the commercial rights holder for the New International Version (NIV) Bible in North America.
Verlyn D. Verbrugge (PhD, University of Notre Dame) served as senior editor-at-large for biblical and theological resources at Zondervan until his death in 2015. He published a number of articles and was general editor of the acclaimed New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology, Abridged Edition. He is the author of several books, including Paul and Money and A Not-So-Silent-Night.