Discover how to motivate students in the classroom, using the elements of EMPOWER--exploration, motivation, participation, openness, willingness, empathy, and resilience. Make school a positive, meaningful experience in your students' lives and cultivate intrinsic motivation. This highly practical resource offers enjoyable, engaging classroom activities, as well as strategies for refining teaching practices, incorporating student values into course content, fostering the development of soft skills, and deeply connecting with learners.
How this book will EMPOWER you:
- Understand what values are and how they are different from preferences and goals.
- Discover how to help students determine which values they want to enact at school and in life.
- Examine how to incorporate values work into the classroom curriculum in all disciplines.
- Explore examples of classroom experiences that highlight the importance of student empowerment.
- Learn how to bring your own values to the classroom to become a better teacher and colleague.
Introduction: Empowering Students to Transform What School Means
Part I: Activities That Empower Students
Chapter 1: Exploration
Chapter 2: Motivation
Chapter 3: Participation
Chapter 4: Openness
Chapter 5: Willingness
Chapter 6: Empathy
Chapter 7: Resilience
Part II: Strategies That Empower Students
Chapter 8: Empowering Dialogue
Chapter 9: Empowering Partnerships
Chapter 10: Empowering Collaborations
Chapter 11: Empowering Curriculum
Chapter 12: Empowering Inquiry
Chapter 13: Empowering Yourself
Conclusion: Paths to Empowerment
Appendix: Examples of Values
References and Resources
About the Author
Lauren Porosoff presents and consults on how to create inclusive and empowering learning communities. An educator with 18 years of classroom experience, Lauren has developed applications of contextual behavioral science to various education practices, including instructional design, social-emotional learning, and professional development. She is the lead author of EMPOWER Your Students: Tools to Inspire a Meaningful School Experience (Solution Tree, 2018), Two-for-One Teaching: Connecting Instruction to Student Values (Solution Tree, 2020), and Teach Meaningful: Tools to Design the Curriculum at Your Core (Rowman & Littlefield, 2020).