In the winter of 1804 1805, Edward Scofield and a small group entered the township in search of a creek suitable for a mill and good land for settlement. Within a few years, Walnut Run, a tributary of Mosquito Creek, was providing waterpower to a gristmill and a sawmill, and other settlers began to arrive. The area around the mill was called by various names: first, Leroy, as named by Scofield, or East Bazetta, referring to its location east of Mosquito Creek that divided the township nearly in half; then Baconsburgh because of the many settlers from the Bacon family; and finally Cortland following incorporation. Over the years, the area around Walnut Run flourished, churches were built, businesses and industries were established, and a lake was built during World War II. Then, as now, people worked very hard to make Bazetta Township and its only city a great place in which to live. ?Wh"
ile teaching in Cortland-Bazetta s Lakeview School District, Sally Lane initiated local history programs for students and wrote two books for the Cortland-Bazetta Historical Society. She is past president of that organization and plays the flute in the Cortland Community Band. Since retiring from teaching, she has been the editor of the Cortland News.