DescriptionA Companion to the History of the English Language addresses the linguistic, cultural, social, and literary approaches to language study. The first text to offer a complete survey of the field, this volume provides the most up-to-date insights of leading international scholars.
- An accessible reference to the history of the English language
- Comprises more than sixty essays written by leading international scholars
- Aids literature students in incorporating language study into their work
- Includes an historical survey of the English language, from its Germanic and Indo- European beginnings to modern British and American English
- Enriched with maps, diagrams, and illustrations from historical publications
- Introduces the latest scholarship in the field
August 11, 2008
6.9 X 1.9 X 9.8 inches | 3.1 pounds
Earn by promoting books
Earn money by sharing your favorite books through our Affiliate program.Become an affiliate
About the Author
Haruko Momma is Associate Professor of English at New York University. She is the author of The Composition of Old English Poetry (1997) and From Philology to English Studies: Language and Culture in the Nineteenth Century (2009). Michael Matto is Assistant Professor of English and Director of Writing Programs at Adelphi University. He has published articles on Old English language, literature, and culture, and is currently editing (with Greg Delanty) a collection of new literary translations of Old English poems (2009).